Compariqo can arrange a policy called a ´Retrospective Structural Warranty´ which is for properties that have already been completed, but do not have structural defects insurance in place. Once an inspection has been successfully completed and there has been sign off from Building Control, the policy will provide cover from the date of sign off for the remainder of the 10 years from the date the build was finished.
If you have a house that you are trying to sell that is under 10 years old, you will find it difficult to sell if there is no structural warranty in place. Unless the buyer can lay out cash, they will require a structural warranty in order for them to be able to obtain a mortgage.
Lenders will not commit to providing finance on a property unless the owner can provide a structural warranty that was obtained either during the build or after the build was completed, known as retrospective structural warranty.
When you would need Retrospective cover
There is No Structural Defects Insurance already in place – you may have purchased a property that you intend to sell on, that was built without structural defects insurance in place that the previous developer was under no obligation to take out. Or you may have a property that did not previously require you to insure but that you now intend to sell with the protection of insurance in place.
Insolvency – You may be a fixed charge receiver who needs a fast solution for solvency situations or distressed sales.
Developer gone into Administration – Properties without a completion certificate will be difficult to borrow against and will require a structural warranty insurance certificate in order to be accepted by mortgage lenders.
What it does
A retrospective structural warranty is a type of insurance policy that works in various ways:
• It allows a homeowner to have financial protection in place against the risk of a rebuild should anything go wrong with the structure of the house within the first 10 years after build completion.
• It allows sellers to be able to offer a buyer a means to obtain a mortgage, so that lenders are secure in the knowledge that they are financing a property that has insurance in place to protect the new homeowner from liability for any pre-existing conditions in the structure of the build.
• It covers the property against any structural defects for the remaining balance of 10 years since build completion.
The warranty is completely transferrable during first 10 years of the properties life as the certificate relates to the property and not the homeowner.
What it covers
The policy covers the cost of:
• A partial or complete rebuild in the event that a defect cannot be fixed.
• Defective Waterproofing
Extra cover can be taken out if desired to cover roof tiles and windows although this is optional.
How to get one
1. Request quotes from various warranty providers in the market through Compariqo
2. Review the quotes and make a decision on the policy that best covers your needs
3. Pay the policy premium
4. You will be contacted for a surveyor to come and make an inspection of the property
5. Existing defects are noted and either excluded from the policy or the defects are corrected
6. The structural warranty policy certificate is issued
Compariqo can arrange retrospective warranty cover for your development. We can save you hours in your search for the right structural warranty cover at the right price.
NEED RETROSPECTIVE WARRANTY COVER?
As an independent broking business, Compariqo is focused on arranging structural warranty and insurance cover for residential developments for our customers. As well as a suite of complementary insurance products to meet the demands of developers and SME builders, we can also source a wide range of finance solutions through our relationship with one of the UK’s top business finance specialists and their extensive panel of lenders, meaning we can cover all of your construction insurance and property finance needs.